Thanks to those of you who attended the virtual Public Hearing on December 20, 2022. We received some very good feedback from those who attended. If you were not able to attend, you can view the recording of the meeting at this link. We will be receiving comments through January 6, 2023 by commenting at the bottom of the page or emailing the project at email@example.com.
The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) is working with Provo City and Brigham Young University to realign the intersection of Canyon Road at University Avenue. An increase in pedestrian traffic is anticipated at this location because the old Provo High School has been incorporated into the Brigham Young University campus and is now being used for classes.
The proposed plans are designed to enhance safety by adjusting the angle of the east side of the intersection to improve visibility, consolidating the number of pedestrian crossing locations and making them easier to see, and adjusting the traffic signals timing to better accommodate the increasing number of pedestrians crossing the road.
- Removing the existing "free right" turn lane from northbound University Avenue to Canyon Road to provide one pedestrian crosswalk on the east side of the intersection instead of the two that currently exist.
- Adding an entrance to the campus on the west side of the intersection.
- Adding raised medians to manage left turns.
- Adding signals and crosswalks on all four legs of the intersection.
- Extending the northbound University Avenue to westbound Cougar Boulevard left-turn lane.
Share Your Thoughts by January 6
Comments can be provided live during the Public Hearing, by emailing the project team at CanyonandUniversity@utah.gov, calling the hotline at 888-556-0232 or by leaving a comment in the area below.
Comments can also be mailed to
Leah Jaramillo (UDOT Consultant)
c/o David Evans and Associates, Inc.
10913 South River Front Parkway, Suite 150
South Jordan, UT 84095