The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) is working in partnership with Carbon County and communities within Carbon County to conduct an Emerging Areas Study for the area. As part of UDOT's mission to enhance quality of life, this process allows all parties to clearly understand the unique context of each of their areas and a broader context consisting of joint goals and objectives. By combining the unique characteristics of each community and gaining a better understanding of how each community wants to move into the future, we can collaboratively define a way to continue creating and developing thriving communities. A roadmap of how to achieve the overall goals will be developed as an outcome of this study.
Broadly, there are three phases of the process as shown in the graphic below.
The focus of the study is to coordinate with the communities within Carbon County to identify goals and steps to achieve those goals. The specific goals for this study include:
- Engage elected officials, stakeholders, and the public to gather details, develop partnerships, and gain ownership in the decision-making process.
- Discuss and identify the overall planning goals of the region with a focus on transportation including land use and resource management as a strong background as they are integral to making informed transportation decisions.
- Create a regional transportation plan that fits the visioning that communities can work towards.
- Provide mapping and technical assistance to support local planning work.
- Identify available funding sources to complete work plan items.
- Develop work plans for all partners that move them toward their goals as identified in this study.
Vision and Goals - Summer/Fall 2023
- Learn about community values and context through a public survey
- Outline community specific and broad area visions and goals
Criteria and Needs - Fall/Winter 2023
- Define needs and how to evaluate potential solutions
Solutions and Actions - Winter/Spring 2024
- Identify and evaluate solutions including future studies, creative/innovative opportunities, and actions to come closer to the identified vision.
To contact the public information team with questions or concerns:
To receive update emails, please contact the public informaiton team at the email address above and enter "Updates" in the subject line.