To accommodate future growth and development in the area east of Zion National Park, the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) has started the East Zion Roundabout and Improvement Project, that will:
- Install a new roundabout at the intersection of North Fork Road (MP 46.5) and State Route 9
- Add intersection improvements at MP 45.2 that include an at-grade pedestrian crossing, widening SR-9 to accommodate turn lanes, widened areas for a future shuttle, and striping and signing improvements
- Reduce speed from 55 mph to 35 mph from the east entrance of Zion National Park (MP 44.8) to MP 45.5. Speed reduction from 55 mph to 45 mph from MP 45.5 to MP 46.75
- Install a new pedestrian underpass at the intersection of North Fork Road (MP 46.5) and SR-9
- Install a 14-foot wide multiuse path on the south side of SR-9 between MP 45.2 and MP 46.5
- Install wildlife crossing conflict mitigation measures along SR-9 including speed reduction, static signage, and variable message signs
As much as possible, improvements will be designed to harmonize with the surrounding environment.
Construction is scheduled to begin Monday, August 14 and projected to last two seasons, beginning in summer 2023 and ending by fall 2024, but may have a winter suspension depending on winter weather. To minimize travel impacts, temporary bypass roads will be constructed for SR-9 and North Fork Road to maintain traffic flow through the area and preserve access to Zion National Park through the east entrance during construciton.
Construction activities will begin with replacing drainage pipes and building the two bypass roads. Then work will shift to the roundabout, pedestrian tunnel, and multi-use trail.
This project has a dedicated public involvement team to answer questions. For questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and 435-254-3305.
Design: Summer 2021 - Winter 2022
State Environmental Study: Fall 2022
A State Enviornmental Study (SES) for improvements on State Route 9 (SR-9) east of Zion National Park (ZNP) was completed in November 2022.
Construction: Summer 2023 to Fall 2024
Construction work began Monday, August 14, 2023.
Work Hours: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Workdays: Monday - Friday
Schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions and material availabilty.